It seems like a good (sometimes cheap) idea to quickly cover the holes in the roof, stop a water leak, and sleep comfortable at night knowing that no rodents or other animals will enter your home or business through those holes.
Although a roof tarp has many benefits, we do not recommend it as a permanent solution to your problem, because:
- Some brands will wear out over time.
- It is a quick fix for a leaking roof, but it is only temporary. It can cause more trouble as time passes.
- If the roof has water damage that leaked into your home, mold could be growing in the affected areas.
- Wind can move the tarp, leaving spaces uncovered where water can start leaking again.
- The wind will cause it to flap, creating annoying noises in your home or business.
- The tarp may increase the heat inside your home or business, which could lead to a higher electrical bill.
- If not installed properly, it could hold small pools of standing water, perfect for mosquito proliferation.
- Heat and moisture may become trapped under the tarp, causing mold and other damage to shingles
You, as a home owner, have the right to protect your property and mitigate. As long you have proper coverage from your insurance company, you can avoid further water damage, mold issues and higher bills.
Don’t wait for more damage to occur in your home or business.
Call SERVPRO of Oldham/Shelby at 502-241-6861 to speak to a Mitigation Specialist.