Fire Damage Emergency Tips

What you can do until help arrives

Water Tips  |  Fire Tips   |  Biohazard Tips   |  Mold Tips

5 Ways to Prevent House Fires

1. Wires and outlets

Defective wiring and outlets are one of the top causes of house fires. Try to avoid power strips and only use them for temporary solutions. Outlets and power strips should never be overloaded.Take time to examine electrical cords throughout your home and check for damaged cords for immediate replacement.

2. Inspect your kitchen

Check your stove and oven before leaving the house. Always attend to pots and pans whenever in use for cooking and baking. Keep cooking oil away from the stove and remember to always clean up around the stove for leftover food or grease that could potentially ignite a fire. Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.

3. Check your dryer

Remove all lint from your dryer filter after each load. Remember to check around your washer and dryer for lint or dust accumulation near power outlets.

4. Alternative heating sources

Space heaters, wood or pellet stoves, and dirty chimneys are common fire hazards that need extra precaution when in use. Never place personal heaters near fabric materials . Inspect your fireplace annually and get it professionally cleaned of any ashes or dirt that could ignite a fire. Never burn cardboard, paper, trash or plants in your fireplace.

5. Keep debris away from your home

Try keeping trash, firewood, pile of leaves or other debris away from your home. 

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (502) 241-6861

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.